Zoom Games you can Play on a Date
Is Zoom dating getting you down? The lack of physical interaction paired with a limited interface can definitely be a struggle… but luckily, every day people are inventing new games and technology to make virtual dating way more fun!
Virtual Escape Rooms
Have you ever done an Escape Room date before? Escape rooms are super fun and a great way to work on solving problems with a date, which is helpful for finding out if you two are compatible! Beyond that, though, they are inexpensive, exciting, and a super fun way to get to know each other without the awkwardness of simply talking back and forth.
Virtual Board Games
Are you big into board games? Look no further… you can play online!
- The app store offers some great classics like Clue and Monopoly.
- You can visit https://en.boardgamearena.com/ to play games virtually, for free.
- Looking for something a little more intense? If you’re a regular board-gamer, you might be interested in trying TableTopSimulator (downloadable on Steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/286160/Tabletop_Simulator) to play a variety of real-life games. It even comes with a “flip table” option – if you lose!
- Feeling a bit more raunchy? https://playingcards.io/ now offers “Remote Insensitivity,” a free online version of Cards Against Humanity.
- Also available on plyaingcards.io: Go Fish, Crazy Eights, and more!
- Interested in testing out your online drawing skills? A personal favourite – https://skribbl.io/ offers a private room where you and your date are given words to draw, and the other person has a limited amount of time to guess. The faster you guess, the more points you get. It is fast-moving and hilarious!
- Feeling strategic, or perhaps your date is smart? Try online chess using https://www.chess.com/
Real games, virtually
If game software isn’t quite your speed, there are also a ton of games that can be played virtually!
- Yahtzee can be played by two people at the same time, and you can even use a virtual dice roller and an online scorekeeping sheet!
- If either of you owns “Boggle” it can also be played virtually.
- Feeling artistic? What about Pictionary!
- Heads Up!, available on the app store (https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/heads-up-best-charades-game/id623592465), is a fast-paced charades game that is free, but if you’re really into it, has a ton of fun decks you can buy as well. You will need to learn how to block out your own picture on Zoom in order to play, because you have to hold your “word” on your forehead for the other person to act it out. You will need a phone other than the device you are Zooming on.
- If you both own battleship, this game can easily be played by both of you at the same time!
- Looking for some action? Try a scavenger hunt! Find a list of items online, or develop them yourself, and then play show and tell with your date. This could encourage all types of great conversations!
- There are also a ton of online Trivia Generators where you and your date can test your knowledge! Try https://www.randomtriviagenerator.com/#/
A Virtual Murder Mystery
Murder Mysteries have not died out in COVID times, and if anything, they are actually getting more popular! There are two options: pre-made murder mysteries which you can purchase and follow along, or live murder mysteries run by a host. Most are made for more than two players, so this game is best suited for a double date or a hangout with a few friends. However, there are options for two-person murder mysteries… one of you is the murderer, who could it be?
Your own invention
Many games don’t need any tools at all.
- Bring back your middle-school days with a fun game of 20 Questions
- Get creative with a game of charades!
- Feeling a little more comfortable with your date? What about a good old game of “Never Have I Ever?”. I recommend only taking this step when you are ready to get deep with your date, or set some ground rules before beginning.
- Another fun old-fashioned game: Two Truths and a Lie! Get to know your date while having a few laughs. It is easy to play, no setup involved, and can be as personal or surface level as you’d like!
Depending on the intensity of your current relationship, you can alter any games you like to fit your vibe. If it’s a short date, 20 questions or Two Truths and a Lie is a great way to get to know each other on a surface level, or deepen your bond if you know each other well.
What makes a Zoom game successful is really how well it fits who you two are as people and what kind of night you are looking for. This is by no means an exhaustive list – so keep looking for new ideas as they come out!